Western tiger swallowtail nectaring on butterfly bush.
1. Grow plants that feed caterpillars (milkweed) and butterflies.
2. Choose native plants that support local butterfly population.
3. Avoid using pesticides - they can kill eggs and butterflies.
4. Feed butterflies fermented fruit.
5. Provide flat stones for butterflies to sun and warm up.
6. Create windbreaks for protection.
7. Supply water, damp gravel or a wet sandy area from which they can obtain fluids and minerals.
8. Plant for continuous bloom and color (yellow, red, orange, purple and pink).
9. Diversify your landscape - vines, flowers, bushes, and trees.
10. Raise native caterpillars and release them in your yard.
For more resources visit the Birds, Bees and Butterflies page.